Thursday, October 20, 2016

Resizing images proportionally, without cropping in WIX

I've recently had to use WIX for a web project, and unfortunately, it only gives me two options for resizing images: 1. Autocrop (cuts the image to fit the space), and 2. Stretch (dis-proportionally stretches the image to fit).


Both of these are inadequate, because, holding down shift and dragging a corner doesn't constrain the bounding box of the image (as it does in most graphics programs). Being as most of the time, we don't want to distort our image, we're left trying to get the box back to it's original proportions to make the image not crop.

Stretch Option



Auto Option












WIX support isn't clear about how to workaround this, especially when you want an image to be a particular width. There's no "link" icon that will keep the width and height proportional in the tool bar.

Here are the steps to do this:
1. Once your image is placed, type the width that you'd like your image to be in the toolbar (unfortunately, this only works with width, not height). This will either crop or distort your image (depending on your settings).


2. Click on the settings for that image. Under "Image Resizing", click "Reset Image Proportions".

This will keep your image at whatever width you set, and auto-adjust the height so that the image is neither cropped nor distorted.

This button also works if you've "eyeballed" your size.

Hope this helps.


13 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its great content that you shared here, thanks a lot
    see here my resources

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this feature only available on upgrade versions. There is no "Reset image proportions under "Image Resizing" in my standard Wix version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not using Wix anymore, but have had a quick look at my account, free one, and I see that the setting now appears as 'Keep proportions'. I have uploaded an image, have changed the width, and if this setting is enabled, the image is resized proportionally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was making me go nuts! thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 cheers for you, my dear! fabulous wix workaround that has been bugging me each time I am doing a wix project. thank you ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this! Saved me a lot of time and frustration. The only problem is your fantastic fix doesn't seem to work for the favicon/browser tab icon. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your all resources, this post also very informative. thanks. read my image masking resources

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog post is decent and meaningful for new users. A title is very unique and content is powerful to attract the audience directly. Continue to write this type of article in the future for us. 5 Image Resizer Resources To Crop Picture

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for trying to help with this issue. I have become so frustrated with wix over this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. do you know a way to solve this problem when you are using images out of a database for a repeater?

    ReplyDelete