Thursday, February 23, 2012

Killing Time

Simply to start this blog, I've sacrificed a half hour of my time: thinking of a name, deciding on a design, fighting with an interface. I ended up on design sites, and math sites, and Wikipedia, over and over and over again. This can all be considered "research", I guess, but I'd simply like to label it as "a waste of time".

Maybe I have the wrong tool? Before the internet, I simply would have picked up a notebook and started scribbling away. Do you remember that time where there was a space between typewriters and keyboards? I do.

I would have done my bit, with slight care as to what had been "taken" and what had been "done", and I would have thought myself a genius in the realm of what I was doing. It would have taken some time for me to figure out that my ideas were not unique, or maybe I never would.

I'm trying to figure out if time has become more or less precious in our digital age. I'm not seasoned enough as a designer to remember the days of rubylith, but I certainly am old enough to say, "Before I designed for the web, that typo would have been a nightmare. I had such printing anxiety back then!". And I certainly type faster than I can write these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment